Saturday, June 30, 2007

On Hating My Sponsor

Dude ! My sponsor pissed me off so bad yesterday that I almost fired his ass. We had an appointment to do step-work but we didn't have the exact time locked in so I called him early & left a message. After a few hours I called him again and he answered and told me that he'd call me back later. It turns out that he was off work & that kinda bothered me because I couldn't understand why he didn't return my call; but oh well he can be jerky sometimes, so I wrote it off. He never called back until midway through the next day & by this time I was already on the warpath after all - doesn't this guy know who I am ? Rewind the tape I have "fired this guy twice already for hurting my feelings in the past. So I had made my mind up to let him go - so what he's got 15 years of recovery under his belt. I have good buddy's in my network of recovering people who have that much time & more (who'd be happy to sponsor me). Well my sponsor happened to be speaking in my town tonight & I decided that after he spoke, I was going to respectfully advise him that I was going to move on (I know that sponsor's aren't really fired I was just pissed). So i went to hear him speak and by the time he was done - I remembered exactly why i asked this guy to sponsor me - he was awesome, his message was strong, clear, funny & informative. He is truly a vessel by which the pure message of hope is carried. I love that guy, I just can't stand some of his ways. I guess I better get some acceptance & be patient with him the same way that he has been with me. Just for today, I will continue to allow myself to feel whatever I need to feel but i will not forget that i always have a choice on how I react & respond to my feelings. Thank God for the recovery process. Peace.

1 comment:

johno said...

Being sponsored and now sponsoring really helped me learn the what forgiveness is and how to practice it on others. I too practiced on Sponsors and other AA's, now I am learning to take it outside too. "They" like me are not perfect. Great post thank you