Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I Would Like To Thank...

God first for this new life, free from the hell which is active addiction/alcoholism. For better or for worse this is the best life that I have ever lived, thanks. Next I'd like to thank "ME" for doing the footwork, holding on, keeping the faith and seeking out help when I needed it. Also for remembering that there is a power greater than me that will put the "smack-down" on my diseased thinking and for remembering to call on it. I also want to thank the people in my life who keep me moving in the right direction, those who acknowledge my correct thinking and those who point out my insane thoughts and actions. I believe that you people are God's voice directing me on the path that He would have me travel. From my wife to my sponsor to those who read and comment on my blog posts to all those who share their experience, strength and hope in the meetings I attend. Thank you, thank you and especially thank you.
Today I got some really good news: My blood pressure has dropped well into the normal range, I also lost 9 pounds since I last visited my doctor. Excercise; even a minimal amount consistently, can be a good thing!
But of course life wouldn't be life if there wasn't some occasional "DRAMA" going on and here is mine: My business is closing. Not because I'm not making money, or because my products aren't the bomb. It's closing because it is stressing me out of my mind. Too much work for me. I have support people but it just isn't enough. FOr almost 2 years I have made something out of nothing. Created a good name for myself. Little old me an addict with less than 3 years clean and a face and or products that are recognized in many places from coast to coast - thats a long way to travel for the young man who walked into a treatment center with all his worldly possessions in 2 trash bags a few years ago. God is good. I believe that it is time to rededicate myself to MY recovery & family - my business was like a vampire stealing away my attention, time, and serenity. I don't feel like I am a failure, my disease wants me to believe that. I believe that I am doing God's will in that this is what's best for me and my family. I don't know where this road is going to lead me, I do trust that things will be ok, because in my experience God's will always yield's better results than mine. So I have to say good-bye social status, good-bye fame and potential fortune, for now anyway and hello wife and kids.
Just For Today: I can't put a price-tag on the power of having a "new perspective on my life" it can mean the difference between being in acceptance of life and being miserable in life. I know understand that that same old half-empty glass was really always half-full.
Peace.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back Dru nice to see you again ;-) When God closes one door He opens another one. I believe you are doing a fine job. Love you!

erinsav said...

That was a difficult decision I bet. This is the beginning of something new for yourself. One door closes and another opens.

I felt that after coming out of rehab earlier this year I had a new perspective on what was important to me. No longer would I drive 3 hours per day to a job that I spent 40+ hours at each week. This was a huge stress on myself and it stole the focus away from my family and my sobriety.

Today...I stay at home with my child and I have also started a career as a copywriter. I never gave that type of work any consideration but I love it. I'm happy doing it...to me, being happy and having peace of mind is all you can really ask for out of life.