Thursday, August 16, 2007

Talk About Scary...

I have this friend who I really care about. But my friend is very self-centered. To the point that I get mad at them. They aren't bad people at all. They just seem to occasionally fall into a pattern of doing what they want to do, no matter the effect it has on others. They have kids and I've seen this person get mad at cuz their sick child kept crying - "disturbing their sleep". I mentioned that the kid couldn't help it and they went right into the 'defensive explaining' mode. That's just one example and I sometimes feel like damn how could a person be so self-centered & clean in a 12-step program? I understand that we all come from similar roots but we are all striving for a new way to live - right? Right. So here's where the shit gets scary: they say 'if you spot it - you got it'. I know that I am proned to be self-centered and that I can't always see myself and my behaviors. Question is: what if I am just like that and just focusing on somebody else to keep from taking a look at myself? That would be messed up. I don't want to be a hypocrite. JUST FOR TODAY: I will take a good hard honest look at myself, making sure that I am doing my best to "be the change that I want to see in the world"

No comments: