Monday, April 23, 2007

Step Six Struggles...

My defects of character are jumping off lately and I am very painfully aware of this fact. I have been taking my sweet time working this step and it seems that i have "gotten what my hand called for". I find myself acting out in the areas of "self-righteousness", being "judgemental" of others and having very little "tolerance" & "compassion" for others (and I might as well add that I haven't had very much "acceptance" of "people being where they're at". All this sounds really bad (i know) but I have been doing most of this internally (in my head). So I don't have to deal with the whole causing harm to others piece that much. (Thank God) SO anyways I was discussing this with a friend and was reminded that it is NOT a good practice to procrastinate at this point in my Step Work. So now I have to reaffirm my "commitment", "persevere" and "keep the focus". That sounds like a very good plan. Ironic that I am speaking at an event this weekend and the topic for my workshop is about not allowing things to 'divert me from my primary purpose'. Ahhhh God is so good to allow me to gain some experience in that area so that I can share an honest message from the heart. Just for today I think I better remember to keep my priorities in order.
Peace

1 comment:

Texaco said...

I love it that you keep coming back to gratitude. When I stupidly (usually selfishly) find myself in a place where I absolutely MUST change how I feel, I whip out my notebook (which my sponsor has wisely instructed me to carry) and I start listing things I'm grateful for. It never fails to change the way I feel, almost as instantly as the drugs did.

I love your blog. Thanks for sharing. And I'll "keep commin' back."

Best wishes,
Chris
Methed Up