Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Got it all figured out today...

Yep that's right ! I got this whole addiction thing figured out. This ain't no off the cuff hypothesis or divine revelation type of deal. This is the result of reading, discussing, working steps, praying & basically living the program that has brought me to this understanding. And this may sound like a bunch of crap to you or it may sound so simple that 'even a cave-man' should've figured it out by now, but it's my truth - just for today. SO what is it? Simply this: My addictive nature manifests itself in my life in a variety of subtle & obvious ways. But it all can be summed up in two little sentences...
1. If I don't get my way - I ain't happy.
2. If everything and everybody just did as I thought that they should - the world would be a better place.
That's it. My job is to combat these "instincts" and do things differently until my thinking eventually changes - which in a lot of cases it has. But it is a real smack in the face when I catch myself acting out in one of those two ways. It's embarrasing and the whole nine yards. But just for today - I need to know my enemy if I am to do battle with him. And I had better come prepared to fight. I choose to arm myself with a Higher Powered 12 step arsenal. I believe that as long as I follow this way - I have nothing to fear.
peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuckin' exactly dude!

Best I've read anywhere yet.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

nice post.
have you seen this film?
http://www.americansplendormovie.com/main.html
I think you would like it.