Thursday, July 19, 2007

In over my head

Ok I just gotta get this off my chest. I am thinking about closing down my business. Not because it's losing money or anything (it's actually on the upswing), but because I can't get good steady help. My wife who used to be my partner now works full time and has our family to care for. Although I have been trying, I simply have not been able to keep up with everything without her vital assistance. I have a few people who help out here and there but none consistantly. I have a friend who wants to help but for some reason everytime he helps me something bad happens. It's like some sort of curse - I'm not kidding either. Other people have mentioned it too. So here I sit, the man of many hats (owner, sales rep, stock boy, deliveryman, clerk, receptionist, web designer, computer repairman, graphic artist, tee shirt producer, shipping and receiving, advertising executive and anything else that goes along with running my tee shirt business.) This is literally too much for me to continue to handle on my own. My blood pressure has recently gone up and I've had a headache off and on for the past four days. I made a business contact last week; a millionaire who shall remain nameless, and this guy liked my spunk. So much so that he offered me a ground floor opportunity to work with him on a new project of his and as excited as I was, I am completely dropping the ball. Numerous difficulties have resulted in delays in shipping his product to him. I have had to apologize to him and a handful of people lately for delays. And I believe that I have to just shut it all down and step back for a while to regroup or something bad is going to happen to me health-wise (mentally and physically). I never had a business before - I never had much of anything before - active addiction wouldn't let me. It really sucks to give up on my dream - even if its only for a little while - but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Oh well...
Just for today, sometimes I have to take a step back in order to take the next step forward. And I know that practicing faith and trust means doing things and having no clue what lies ahead. But more than anything else I know this: It's much easier to tell you all this good sh!t, than it is to it tell myself. Once again it's time to practice what I preach.
Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You should email me, dude. I have some ideas about how to simplify a business when you're stuck in the process instead of the content. I'm thinking there is a sane way to free yourself to pick up the ball with Daddy Warbucks and have your existing enterprise start running itself.